This impressive church, St Edward the Confessor, over looks the town as it’s sited on a vantage point and although its in full view of the town centre, just how many people walk past or through its grounds everyday and actually notice the finer details, not that many probably.
Now for some history!
This is the towns only medieval church and it’s site has been used for Christian ceremonies for over 1000 years. The church, originally dedicated to King Edward (1042-1066), burnt down in 1297 and was rebuilt during the 1300’s. The south porch & main entrance date to restoration in the 17th century. The church also under went major restorations in 1839 and 1865-7.
Some of the windows that were replaced in the restoration in the mid 19th century were designed and manufactured by the William Morris Company.
Bonnie Prince Charlie’s troops are responsible for the visible indentations on the preaching cross in the cemetery, apparently when they stopped in the town in 1745 on their way to Derby, they used the cross for target practice!
During the English Civil War, Royalist troops held out in the church and the exterior of the building sustained canon ball damage.
The Building was given a grade II listing on 13 April 1951.
Feature Image – Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm kit lens, Exposure, 10 Secs, Aperture f/5.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 18mm
Secondary Image – Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm kit lens, Exposure 30 Secs, Aperture f/10, ISO 100, Focal Length 18mm