This beautiful branch of the Manchester & Liverpool District Bank opened in 1883, although the bank had been operating in the town from 1833, it had previously rented rooms in a variety of places around the town centre. This bank was designed by William Sugden and his son, Larner.
A notable feature is the Oriel Window with the bank’s coat of arms above it.
The interior of the Porch (or Portico) has a frieze of tiles by the noted Arts & Crafts designer William de Morgan. Also much of the original interior woodwork still survives.
It became the District Bank Ltd in 1924 before becoming a subsidiary of the National Provincial Bank Ltd in 1962. In 1970, it became part of the National Westminster Bank Ltd (also known as the Natwest).
English Heritage granted it a Grade II listing on 7 June 1972.
Shooting Information –
Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm kit lens
Feature Image – Exposure 1/30, Aperture f/16.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 30mm.
Secondary Image – Exposure 1/40, Aperture f/16.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 25mm.
Final Image – Exposure 1/6, Aperture f/16.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 34mm.