This stone well head dates from 1855, it is sometimes called The Weavers Well but is better known as Lady O’ Th’ Dale Well (Ladydale Well).
The spring that feeds the well was named in honour of “Our Lady” in the Middles Ages and in the 16th century the area was known as Lady Wall Dale. The waters have been used for healing purposes for centuries and within living memory there was also an annual May Day procession to the Well from St. Mary’s Roman Catholic church.
In the earlier part of this century, protestors fought long and hard to protect the well, valley and wildlife from housing developers who wanted to build a new estate on the land.
Granted a Grade II listing on 2 February 1995 by English Heritage.
Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm kit lens
Exposure 1/25, Aperture f/10.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 43mm.