Hidden in Plain Sight – Post 32

This twee little building overlooks the market place in the town centre.

Originally built as a single house or a row of cottages in the early 17th century and is now a row of shops.

Although there is a bit of an unusual addition built into the doorway of one of the shops, a wooden panel which is carved with the date A.D. 1513. I have no idea why this is there or where it came from (maybe it’s just a private joke by a former owner).

Granted a Grade II listing on 13 April 1951.

Shooting Information:

Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm kit lens, Exposure 1/30, Aperture f/9.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 18mm

Advertisements

Hidden in Plain Sight – Post 31

This imposing silk mill was built in 1853 and was extended in the late 19th century. It is unknown who originally had the mill built.

In the 1970’s this was the last of the numerous silk mills in the town that was still operational. It was owned & ran by the family firm Thomas Whittles Ltd, who had owned the mill since the late 1860’s.

Thomas Whittles Ltd ceased trading in 1994 and ended the long history of the silk industry in Leek with the closure of the mill.

The mill has now been converted into apartments.

The mill was granted a Grade II listing on 3 February 1993 by English Heritage.

Wellington Mill

Shooting Information:
Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm Kit Lens
Feature Image – Exposure 1/30, Aperture f/9.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 18mm
Secondary Image – Exposure 1/50, Aperture f/9.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 32mm

Hidden in Plain Sight – Post 30

Welcome to a truly hidden gem, this quaint little Hall is hidden at the back of a large social housing estate.

The southwest wing is the earliest part of the building, built in the early 17th century, the east wing was added in 1722 and there were major alterations undertaken in the 19th century which appears to incorporate a free standing 17th century kitchen block. A considerable amount of of the surrounding land was also owned by the Hall.

The earliest part was probably built by a gentleman called John Wardle. The 1722 extension was added by Joshua Toft, who was a button merchant and the Hall was owned by the Toft family until 1948 when it was sold to Leek Urban District.

The estate became the site of a development of council housing which was completed by 1953 and is named Haregate after the Hall. The Hall was divided into three dwellings by the council and was tenanted until recently but is now vacant and boarded up.

English Heritage granted the Hall a Grade II listing on 13th April 1951.

Haregate Hall

Shooting Information:
Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm Kit Lens
Feature Image – Exposure 1/30, Aperture f/9.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 18mm
Secondary Image – Exposure 1/60, Aperture f/9.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 18mm