The first cross (featured above) is located near the entrance to St Edwards church and is the remains of a pre-Norman (Saxon) cross. It has a fragment of a runic inscription which may date from the early 9th century. The cross was re-erected in 1885 after lying in three pieces in the churchyard for several years.
The second cross (featured below) is located in the churchyard near to the old vicarage. It is a pre-Norman (Saxon) round shafted preaching cross and is a well preserved example of it’s type. It has been dated to be from the late 10th century. In 1745, Bonnie Prince Charlie‘s troops used the cross for target practice and it still bears the impact marks!
It was granted a Grade II listing on 13 April 1951 and is also a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm Kit Lens
Feature Image – Exposure 1/15, Aperture f/6.3, ISO 200, Focal Length 18mm
Secondary Image – Exposure 1/40, APerture f/6.3, ISO 200, Focal Length 23mm
- Hidden in Plain Sight – Post 30 (madwomanwithacamera.wordpress.com)
- Hidden In Plain Sight – post 26 (madwomanwithacamera.wordpress.com)
- Hidden In Plain Sight – post 25 (madwomanwithacamera.wordpress.com)