This silk mill was built in 1853, with the additional of fire escape stairs and upper floor doors which were added in the late 19th century. It is unknown who the original owner was, but the mill was purchased by J & J Brough, Nicholson & company (who were also silk manufacturers) in 1863, who owned the mill upto the mid 20th century. The mill was then brought in 1960 by Job WHite & Sons Ltd, who were at the time was one of the country’s largest knitwear manufacturers. White’s went into liquidation during the 1970’s.
The building has had a few tenants since but they have not lasted very long and the mill has been derelict for over a decade.
Although the Mill is situated on Ashbourne Road, its name, London Mill, is because at the time of its constructed, Ashbourne Road was called London Road.
Canon EOS 550 & 18-55mm Kit Lens
Featured Image – Exposure 1/25, Aperture f/9.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 18mm
Second Image – Exposure 1/60, Aperture f/9.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 18mm