In 1865 a Ragged (poor) school was opened in a cottage on Belle Vue Road but within 6 weeks it had so many pupils that it was forced to move to 2 adjoining houses on Mill Street. By 1867 it had 120 pupils.
In 1869 the Leek Wesleyan Methodist Assembly agreed to run the school and in 1870 the school moved to it’s newly purposely built premises with provision for 130 pupils and a chapel. In 1873 it became a public elementary day school known as “Mill Street Wesleyan School“. In 1909 the school only had 51 pupils. The school closed in 1913 but the building continued to be used as a Methodist chapel until 1990. It has now been converted into apartments.
Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm Kit Lens
Exposure 1/125, Aperture 10.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 24mm