This enormous silk mill known as “The Big Mill” was designed by William Sugden and built in 1857. Occupied from 1858 by Joseph Broster Company, it is 6 storeys high, 21 bays long and 5 bays deep.
By 1872 the mill was shared by 3 companies (J. Broster Co, Wardle & Davenport, and Frederick Hammersley & Co) but in 1888 Wardle & Davenport purchased the entire building.
In 1920 Wardle & Davenport transferred the mill to Peri-Lusta Ltd (est 1919) for the production of mercerized cotton. Peri-Lusta remained in the Big Mill until 1992 when they moved to smaller premises.
The Big Mill has remained vacant ever since, although it has changed ownership and at one point it was going to be converted into apartments. Work was started, then stopped long before completion and was put back up for sale. It is now a popular location for photographers and urban exploration.
Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm Kit Lens
Featured Image – Exposure 1/100, Aperture f/10.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 25mm
Second Image – Exposure 1/25, Aperture f/10.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 18mm
Third Image – Exposure 1/100, Aperture f/10.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 18mm