There has been a corn mill on this site since at least the early 15th century, which belonged to the monks of nearby Dieulacres Abbey. After the dissolution of the Abbey, the mill was granted to Ralph Rudyard in 1565.
The mill was rebuilt in 1752 (powered by a water wheel) by the famous engineer, James Brindley, who had set up as a mill wright on Mill Street in 1742.
The mill remained operational until the 1940’s, then part of it was demolished for road widening in 1948. The remaining building was brought in 1972 by a Trust formed to preserve the mill. It was restored and re-opened as a working water mill and museum in 1974.
English Heritage granted the mill a Grade II listing on 7 June 1972.
Canon EOS 550D & 18-55mm Kit Lens
Featured Image – Exposure 1/80, Aperture f/10.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 39mm
Second Image – Exposure 1/100, Aperture f/8.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 18mm